Howse Family

Howse Family

Friday, June 6, 2008

Yes, I'm crazy!

Well, my friend Kelly just had a baby last week, and she has inspired me. When I was pregnant with Ashlyn, Andy and I heard about a thing called Hypnobirthing. Andy is totally against hypnosis, but our midwife explained that it's more just learning how to go into deep deep relaxation. You can still talk to be people, and be aware of everything around you. You just choose to ignore it. Well, it sounded interesting, but i didn't look into it further. After I had Drew, I decided that my 3 totally different experiences with birth weren't what I wanted. I needed to try something else. I was too scared to get an epidural again, and too scared not to! So I talked to my friend Megan who teaches Hypnobirthing and gave birth to an 11 lb. 9 oz. baby at home with no drugs. If anyone can teach me how to do it, she can! I took a class (yes, even though I'm not pregnant!) with Kelly so that I could feel more comfortable about getting pregnant again. Another reason I'm crazy, I would like Drew and our next baby to be between 18 months and 2 years apart. That's between now and Dec. but since I don't want to be due in the summer, that means I have to get pg. in the next 2-3 months. Anyway, Kelly just had her baby and she made it with no epidural! It didn't go exactly as she wanted, so now I'm determined to be as ready as I can possibly be to give birth using the Hypnobirthing, so I've started to read the book. And it is FASCINATING! Even if you don't care about the "hypnosis" part, there is just so much interesting information. Like the history of Childbirth, and how it has evolved. It makes so much sense!! Anyway, I'll probably finish it pretty quickly since it's been on my mind. I'm actually looking forward to having a baby, which is a definite blessing!! The hardest part of being prgnant for me is how tough it is to function, when I'm in pain. I'm hoping that since I've been working out so much lately, that I'll be able to workout through my whole pregnancy (a goal everytime, that I've never accomplished) and be more in shape. It should makes things A LOT easier for me. I actually ran a mile on Mon.! I didn't think I could do it. Next week I'm going to run 2, and hopefully by the time we go to Michigan I can run the 5k with my sis in law. Wish me luck! And anyone have any running advice?

5 comments:

Sharlyn said...

I did Hypnobirthing with Blake...it obviously didn't end up the way I wanted (emergency c-section) but I loved the classes and the things it taught. Good Luck! I want to hear how it all goes!

Natasha Ireland said...

Hmm, I ran SO much as a young tike, i'm not such a fan of it now BUT if you think your going to be running a lot a cool investment would be Nike Shocks (I don't LOVE LOVE my shoes BUT ) IF you have an ipod you can buy an attachment that goes in your shoe and attaches to your ipod and keeps up beat music going and tracks time, calories and all that jazz, I have used that feature of my shoes and think it's pretty cool- now only if I could run more :) GOOD LUCK Your inspiring!

Kelsey said...

Never in my life! Give me drugs every time. You're totally crazy. But I'm glad that you're determined because you'll have to be. It's good to be dedicated to something like Hypnobirthing and running. I can't yet run a mile, but if you want a jogging mate call me anytime. (Well actually wait till after I have the baby!)

Hess Clan said...

I think anything to help you learn to be more in control when in labor is awesome. Labor is definitely a physical and a mental thing. I had a feeling you would be saying your going to be prego soon--since you think there is going to be 6 in the family soon-funny--isn't there always!?

KaseyQ said...

My advice- GET A HEART RATE MONITOR!!! I used to not be able to run at all (I am a weakling...no athletic ability whatsoever) but then I got my HRM and now that I focus on keeping my heart rate in my target zone, I am able to run for 30 minutes straight, and when I'm done I feel like I could do it again. I got a book from the library on using an HRM for training, and my goal is to run in the Monument 10K in Richmond in April next year. Before, I never thought I could, but now I'm like the Little Engine That Could- I think I can, I think I can, I think I can! It was so exciting to figure out what I had been doing wrong, and now I'm getting a much better, much safer, and much more EFFICIENT workout! :-) I'm so proud of you for running, too! WE CAN DO IT! ;-)