Howse Family

Howse Family

Friday, January 16, 2009

Happenings

So, lately I've been thinking a lot about the new baby we have coming. I'm beginning the countdown to his arrival, less than 10 weeks to go. I feel like I'm running out of time!! There are a few things I need to do before he comes. By the way, I'm not sure if I posted on here or not but we are going to name him Schuyler Malcolm. Both names are family names. Schuyler was my great grandpa's middle name and Malcolm is a family surname on Andy's side. Does the Schuyler spelling confuse you? Probably, but I've decided I'm ok with it. There was a city in Andy's mission called Schuylerville and that pronounced it Skylerville. So there! :) Anyway, I've been thinking back on when Drew and Ashlyn were newborns, and the things that I would like to change to make things easier, and I've been doing some shopping, mostly online. :) Last night, I purchased this to help me in my last 10 weeks.

I hate being so uncomfortable every night, so I bit the bullet and spent the money. I let you know if it's as super comfy as they say as soon as it's shipped!!! I'm also trying to find one of those nifty swaddling blankets I've seen recently. The ones that have velcro that don't come unwrapped. Any suggestions??? I've also seen these pretty cool nursing blankets that have a strap around your neck, and have boning that keeps it away from your neck so you can see down so you can "adjust" everything without having to put the blanket over your head. Even after nursing 2 babies, I'm still not that coordinated with it. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to try and make myself one of those. I also purchased a new infant carseat. We have never actually paid for one, with Ashlyn and Drew we were given ones that my sister in laws had used. I want a new one that has all the things I want!! So this time, I bought one!!
I also bought a new diaper bag. After using the same one since Drew was born, I decided it was time for a new one.
Now, we just need to find a van!! Yup, we are going to become minivan drivers!! We decided we can't fit 3 carseats in the back of our honda civic. Andy is very picky about how much he will pay for the miles and year it is, so it will probably be a little while before we make the plunge. But we have our eyes open!! We don't have much time!! Now I just need to figure out where to put all of the babies clothes, fix the cradle so it doesn't squeak, and practice my HYPNOBIRTHING!! Yup, I'm still going to go for a natural birth. That's the biggest thing I've been thinking about right now. I have 10 weeks to practice the breathing and visualization. I was feeling nervous about it, but after getting on a website where lots of woman have written their birth stories, talking to my friend that taught my classes, and reading the book again, I'm feeling very confident, actually even a little excited. I'm excited about being in control of the birth, and of how easy my recovery will be WHEN I'm successful!! From now on, all of my thinking and speaking will be positive. I can do it!! (If you think I'm nuts, tell me afterwards! :)) My Mom is going to fly out to be here, and since she had 6 kids naturally, I'm going to be using her to help me. I'm also trying to put together a CD of relazing music to listen to while I'm in labor. Please gives me some ideas!! Now to get through the next 10 weeks!! One of my new years goals, aside from a natural childbirth, is to participate in a Triathlon. I looked it up, and Orem has one Nov. 7. That will give me about 6 months to train!! I've already started planning what my routine will be. The triathlon consists of swimming 350 meters, biking 10.5 miles, and running a 5K. That's my plan to work off the baby weight and get in better shape than i have been for a long time. Overall, I'm really looking forward to all of the things to come!!!

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

Congratulations on your fun new baby purchases! You can get the velcro swaddle blankets at Babies R Us or Amazon.com. The brand I have is Kiddopotamus Swaddleme. The velcro does get weak after awhile (a couple of months) but they're only $10 to replace. I LOVE them! In fact, Neal is still in them at 7 months . . . they help so much! Good luck with everything, I'm so excited for you!

Unknown said...

GOOD LUCK with everything! I'm excited for all your new today.

You will have to let me know how you like your pillow, I'm curious.

And a triathlon! That's AWESOME!

Kristina said...

You're amazing Alicia! I can't wait to hear how your birthing experience goes! It's always fun to get a few new things for a new baby. I got a nursing cover with Savanna and loved it. Good luck with everything!

Julie said...

yay for new stuff! you're still nuts for doing it natural.. although i am way impressed. I haven't decided what i'm going to do but i'm thinking i'll beg for the drugs at the first hint of pain. also, a trialtholon! my goodness! don't kill yourself! :) and if you figure out how to make a good nursing cover-thingy give me the pattern! i really want to make one too

Hess Clan said...

I am so excited for you guys. I am so glad we got to see you if only for a few minutes at Christmas. As for the natural child birth--YOU CAN DO IT!! Maybe you should get one of those relaxation-stress balls. My mom said warm showers always helped her. ANd I think I would go for upbeat music if it was me--prepare me like I was going to be playing in a championship or something-LOL!

Kelsey said...

Natural birth is the best! I know I did it on accident, but I LOVED it! I'm so excited for you! Hey I'm not sure if I emailed you, but I do a scrapbook night every Thurs. at my dad's house. You should come, even if it's just so we can catch up. Or we could do a play date or something!